Thursday, October 28, 2010

Halloween: the Archives

Since my camera is broken (it's so tragic! I wore my leopard print shoes for the first time today), I thought I'd instead dig through the archives of Halloween photos in honor of one of my favorite holidays.
Marilyn Monroe (2006): This costume is really the only piece I own that I bought at a costume store, the kind that pops up about a month before Halloween. I knew that the white dress was so iconic that I had to wear it to be Marilyn, and I didn't think I'd find an actual white dress in this style for any cheaper. It was worth the $30 dollars, though -- I wore it to four parties over three years (that's 10 dollars a year or about $7.50 a party). I really liked this costume -- it was fun being someone that everyone instantly recognized, and I enjoyed wearing the wig and the bright lipstick.

Extra observations: This is what my dorm room looked like Junior year of college. I miss cramped, bright, tacky living. Also, note the bracelets on my right hand. My friends and I were in competition to see who could wear theirs the longest, so I didn't take them off for over six months. Gross.
Marla Singer (2007): By the time I was a senior in college, I was sick of everyone sacrificing creativity for hotness and decided to be as unattractive as possible. Marla Singer, in both the novel and the movie, is troubled and dirty and strange. I bought this pink prom dress at Gabe's, cut off the bottom, attached a condom to it because of her great monologue about the condom being the glass slipper of our generation (and I got it for free at the Health Center when I went to pick up informative pamphlets) and a name tag from all of her support meetings. My disheveled greasy hair, pale foundation, and smeared eye make-up were both fun and easy. The props to the costume, while not pictured, were fantastic: I picked up some testicular cancer brochures at the health center and handed them out to party goers, claiming that I picked them up at my support group meetings, and carried around a box of cigarettes, usually keeping one behind my ear or in my mouth (unlit, of course, as I am as non-smoking as you can get).
Buddy Holly (2008): I don't have a great picture of me in my Buddy Holly costume, but this way you can see Jude in her excellent Corpse Bride costume. She, out of all my friends, is the absolute best at Halloween. She made that. MADE IT. Buddy Holly was the easiest and most comfortable costume I've had. I bought the glasses and skinny tie, both of which I rewore all the time. You probably remember the tie from blog posts, including the one I posted on Tuesday, and the glasses were a great party accessory, until the tragically broke last year. I wore a blazer I already owned and parted my hair in the middle. Unfortunately, the rain made my bangs a bit unruly. Dressing up like a guy was fun, and I think I'd like to really commit to an eccentric male character and do it again.
Dolly Parton (2009): Last year's was one of my favorite costumes, and most of the credit must be given to Erin. She lent me her grandmother's square-dancing skirt and did my makeup (and, really, isn't the most important thing about Dolly her makeup?). While the Marilyn dress couldn't be savaged, I knew I wanted to use the wig again, and I have always loved Dolly. Being in full costume with a wig and lots of make-up is really the best way to spend the holiday.

I'm so excited for Halloween this year. What are you being? xoxo Anna Rae

No comments:

Post a Comment