Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Take Ivy


I was recently introduced to the magic that is Take Ivy, and can't believe I was in the dark about this amazing fashion piece for so long. I assembled a fantastically preppy and collegiate outfit and was prepared to have an extensive photo shoot in the crisp Autumn leaves outside, but broke my camera only a few minutes after stepping outside. Using unreliable objects as a substitute for a tripod? Unwise. Unfortunately, I only have this rag tag group of photos to represent my take on Take Ivy.
The button-down and loose tie combo was, to me, the most essential part of the outfit for achieving the Ivy league aesthetic. I originally wanted to pair it with my wool yellow cardigan, but opted for this lighter sweater due to the surge of warm weather. I like how you can only catch a glimpse of the tie, though. The socks with oxfords updated the outfit to feel very this season.
Take Ivy, a collection of photographs detailing men's fashion on Ivy League campuses in the 1960s, was published in Japan in 1965. The book was a hit there, helping to create a long-standing trend in men's fashion, and was a highly-coveted but hard to find fashion text in the States, until it was republished with English captions earlier this year.

Shirt: Joe Fresh, the Real Canadian Superstore
Tie: H&M
Sweater: Abercrombie, from the high school days
Shorts: Thrifted, Value Village, Brand: Dockers
Socks: Mom's sock drawers
Shoes: Gifted, Mom and Dad, Brand: Bass

Since I spent most of yesterday researching the book instead of doing actual work, I thought I'd share some of my results.
The Trad, a blog that scanned images from the original text
New York Times article and slideshow
A Curious Lean article from before the reprint came out

And now I'll be taking a small hiatus until I get another payheck and can buy a new camera. xoxo Anna Rae

No comments:

Post a Comment