Thursday, September 29, 2011

Like a Pro

Although my roles as both graduate student and community college teacher allow for great flexibility in my wardrobe, there are some days when even student/teachers need to dress like professionals. On those days, I abandon my bright colors, my affinity for layering, and my desire to mix prints for simple, classic pieces. The pieces, of course, need to be well made, need to fit well, and need to be at least a little fun, so that I'll want to wear them.
This dress is not only a completely beautiful shade of purple, but the ruffle around the collar is what I'd like to call understated whimsy, if anything can be called such a thing.
With a solid color dress, simple ivory tights, and basic black tweed flats, I thought at least one piece of jewelry, something to heighten my clothes into an outfit was needed. My mom recently gave me this brooch for my birthday, and I love it. The pewter gives it a vintage feel and the horseshoe shape, to me, sets it apart from so many other brooches. I can't wait to buy a dress with a small horse pattern and wear this brooch with it.
Dress: J. Crew factory outlet, Lancaster
Tights: CVS
Shoes: American Eagle
Brooch, Gifted, Mom, Morning Glory
And a complaint to those most sympathetic: drug store tights, while earning high marks for always being down the block, are never worth four dollars. These, like all others bought during tight emergencies, ripped on my first day wearing them. xoxo Anna Rae

No comments:

Post a Comment