Thursday, June 24, 2010

If you can't sew, fold.

As you may recall from previous posts, I tend to alter my clothes not with sewing but with folding. Today's outfit is no exception.
I believe the last time I wore this dress, I spent most of the post gushing about how much I loved it, how I wore it to so many of my favorite things last summer, how it was beautiful and sweet and everything a dress should be. Well, the problem with taking pictures of all of your outfits so that you notice when your clothes don't fit you properly. This dress, while amazing, is also ill-fitting. Another person may have taken it to the tailor or altered it themselves, but no, I instead folded the top over and turned it into a lovely skirt (with the slight problem of the dress's boning making the skirt poof out a bit).
Now, seriously, I think this outfit makes me look taller. I also think it's pretty adorable. I liked the way the navy shirt looked with the coral and decided that, since I've now learned dresses as skirts often need belts, I would improvise a belt with some navy ribbon.
The overexposed shot really highlights the bow, doesn't it?
The umbrella wasn't a prop, I took these photos in the middle of a downpour, moments after the thunder and lightening subsided. I know it looks sunny, but it wasn't. I promise.

Dress as skirt: H&M
Shirt Charlotte Russe
Ribbon tied as belt: Dress Sew
Shoes: Target
Umbrella: The Umbrella Store, Granville Island, Vancouver

On Saturday, my mom and I are having our dresses for the wedding tailored. Hopefully the visit will inspire me to learn how to do more complex alterations -- the kind that involve needles and thread. xoxo Anna Rae

No comments:

Post a Comment