Sunday, December 12, 2010

Structured Fashion: A Story of Love, Heartbreak, and Recovery

Of course, all of this has to do with a dress -- this dress.
During the last few weeks of college, I bought what I thought was the most outrageous and comfortable dress that I had ever tried on. It was bright, it was not restricting, and it had pockets. I wore the dress almost every other day, including the day I moved out of Etown. Knowing the I loved the dress so much, I packed it for Vancouver, but once I was there, I realized something: the dress was completely unflattering. Still loving the pattern, collar, and colors, I begged Erin to help salvage it. She expertly sewed ribbons onto the dress to create a waist, and it worked! Success!

Unfortunately, the ribbons ripped in the washing machine, and I was too nervous to re-sew them myself. As perhaps a sign that my fashion skills have improved, I had the expert idea to belt the dress. The amazing results, below:
This dress is once again one of my favorites. The black belt gave it shape, structure, and helped to make the dress seem more casual. If I was to wear this to a party or dinner, I might change the tights to a textured or floral fishnet, but since I was spending the day with old friends, shopping, eating, and running around Etown, I needed to winterize the outfit, adding the solid tights and boots, and a purple cardigan. My first instinct was to pair the dress with a neutral cardigan, but I wanted to instead keep the attention on the bold and beautiful colors with a tonal match.
The collar of this dress is so amazing. I'm so glad to know it's going to be back in heavy rotation.

Dress: Gabe's, originally Urban Outfitters
Belt: Gifted, Erin
Boots: Gifted, Mom and Dad, Zappos, Chinese Laundry
Earrings: Gifted, AlyWebb
Photos by Keanan (but not his fancy camera)

Janet, AlyWebb, and I spent most of the day (and most of our money) at the Hershey Factory Outlets, and I can't wait to post my new purchases (both the ones I bought for me and the ones I bought as presents). xoxo Anna Rae

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad that the ribbons didn't stand up to the washing machine (that dress is machine washable??)because that belt is fantastic with the dress. And even I would have gone with the purple cardigan over a neutral one because it matches so perfectly. Mad snaps all around.
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy that you gave me this belt -- it makes almost every outfit better.

    ReplyDelete