Wednesday, December 29, 2010

A (half) Year in Review: Erin's style, Anna's picks

The Tights that Bind may not have started until February 29, and Erin may not have begun to add her fashion expertise until June 23, but we love a countdown as commemoration of the end of a year as much as the next blog. Since the Tights that Bind is more of a conversation among personal styles (Libby, we miss you! The plaid rain boots you wore the other day were super cute!) than just a singular personal style blog, Erin and I have decided to choose each other's Top Three Outfits of 2010.

Although Erin has only been posting for a little longer than 6 months, I found it very difficult to narrow my choices down to only three. Each of the outfits that I picked made it into one of the coveted spots because it works really well as an outfit as whole, it showcases incredible pieces, and it highlights a part of Erin's style that I really love and admire.

Erin's Top Three Outfits of 2010
(in chronological order)

I'm glad that this is the outfit that appeared first chronologically, because what I love most about it is how it works so well showcasing what Erin does best: make denim interesting, pair black and white with a pop of color, understand where the visual interest should lie, and add fun but not overwhelming details to complete the look.
Unlike Erin, I struggle with denim. When I wear it, I feel underdressed and boring, and I don't have as many nice pairs as she does -- probably because I don't shop hard enough for them. I really love the bright pink shirt in this outfit and how it really becomes the focal piece because of its amazing pussy bow. Erin highlights this by having the only other splash of color be earrings in a matching pink (and matching whimsical nature!) and echoing the bow theme with her amazing rain boots. Another reason why I find this look so lovely is that I watched Erin long for these boots on the internet for months -- I'm so happy they're where they should be, on her feet.
I almost forgot the animal print! It works so well here because it gives a slight edge to the very feminine look. There's actually a lot going on in this outfit, but it doesn't feel overwhelming or busy at all. Such a really excellent example of Erin's most popular sartorial choices.

If you looked through Erin's blog posts and didn't pick this outfit as one of your favorites, I'd say you were crazy. Crazy! Have you ever seen a blouse as amazing as this one? This blouse, like the boots, was very familiar to me by the time Erin debuted it on the blog because she stared longingly at it on the internet for some time. Kate Spade really does design with her in mind, I think. It doesn't surprise me that two of my three picks were in the same week. Once I start putting together some really nice outfits, I find myself on a bit of a roll, dressing at my best for the next few days or so. Perhaps this is not a personal phenomenon.
Again, Erin knew exactly how to let this blouse shine, pairing it with a black skirt and black heels, with the black skirt's interesting pleating mirroring the amazing pleats of the blouse. The red coat did a lovely job of highlighting the pink and red color combo on the shirt, as normally the pink of the lips would stand out more than the red of the cigarette fire. The pulled back hair and pearl earrings were simple but classic, really letting the blouse take center stage. Not all people who are interested in fashion or style are truly successful shoppers, but Erin certainly is, and her knowledge of brands and the fashion market really pays off in pieces like this blouse. I could gush for ages (I have so much to say about the collar alone), but we have another really lovely outfit to discus.


When Erin originally posted this outfit in October, I commented on how much I have always loved both this dress and these shoes. This outfit really strikes me as part of Erin's signature style, even though it's quite different from the first two looks. Erin's closet is full of bold prints like this dress, and they leave such a specific and lasting impression. When I think of her fashion (which I often do, since she was for some time my favorite shopping companion and the very person who introduced me to personal style blogs), these bold prints often come to mind because they are so memorable. Also, as I mentioned before when praising Erin's ability to discern what the focal point of her outfit ought to be, she's similarly good at letting her bold prints breathe. Often, when the print is in a bright color, she pairs it with denim or neutrals, but since this dress is quite neutral in color itself, she paired it with her yellow jacket, which I really love. It works so well against the light blues and grays in the outfit. The rest of the outfit works with the colors in the print, adding interest with size and texture. These shoes, which I have praised before, are amazing. They are just quirky enough with their mixture of a platform wedge and a dainty Mary Jane strap to be as fun as a novelty print, but their reserved black tone allows them to be quite versatile for outfits and occasions. If I had the grace to wear heels, I would steal them.

In fact, what do I want to steal from Erin's closet was a question I asked myself a lot when looking through her archives trying to narrow down my top seven into a top three. Almost every piece of all of these outfits made the cut. What are your thoughts on my thoughts? Your own top three? Some honorable mentions? Countdowns are so fun; I really feel like I'm ready for the new year now. Erin, I can't wait to see what I pick next year when I actually have a full twelve months of posts to choose from! xoxo Anna Rae


1 comment:

  1. Anonymous1/04/2011

    Great picks, Anna! Erin looks amazing in all of them!!
    ~Julie

    ReplyDelete