Friday, November 26, 2010

Dress your turkey, dress yourself

Happy Thanksgiving, readers! Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays: amazing food, relaxed schedule, and the beginning of holiday cheer. I started today drinking champagne with the family while admiring the turkey and ended it with iced wine and Miracle on 34th Street. My outfit, then, needed to be presentable -- it is a holiday after all -- but also comfortable, since most of the day was spent laying around and eating a lot.
I love this dress. Although it was a bit more than what I normally spend, it was well worth it. I've worn it for all kinds of special occasions - an interview, first day of class, an alumni dinner, and now Thanksgiving. The dress is the perfect combination of fall colors for my favorite fall holiday, so I wanted to compliment the color palette with similar tones.
I liked the idea of wearing the cardigan unbuttoned and wearing my casual flats because it was a holiday spent at home. The belt added a nice shape to the outfit and helped keep the cardigan from looking disheveled -- something I always fear with unbuttoned cardigans. Because all of the colors I added were neutrals, I wanted to add interest with texture and layers, contrasting the feminine embellishments of the cardigan with the bold, warrior princess belt. The gold locket was a simple touch that complimented the neckline of the dress.
Dress: Anthropologie
Cardigan: New York and Co.
Belt: Thrifted, Value Village, Vancouver
Shoes: Thrifted, Alabaster Attic, Greensburg
Necklace: Gifted, Mom and Dad

My brother asked if I was dressed like a pilgrim, but I think I look more like a vegetable casserole. xoxo Anna Rae

1 comment: