Monday, November 29, 2010

Love and Other Influences

I'm the first to admit it; I'm susceptible to signage. I fall victim to commercials. I love new branding. In short, I am an advertiser's dream. This love of marketing often extends into other cultural media -- it only took a few showings of An Education and a couple seasons of Mad Men to completely convince me to wear vintage brooches and kill my hair backcombing it. I bought two new shades of lipstick after rewatching My So Called Life. And, a few days ago, when I saw Anne Hathaway's perfectly nostalgic early 90s wardrobe in Love and Other Drugs, I knew I had to recreate it.
A variation on buffalo plaid, Doc Marten's with tights, and curly hair? I feel like I should be discussing the Clinton sex scandal and listening to Oasis. Also, my mom decorated the tree, and I was really into the Christmas decorations and the fireplace. I think we all expected that I would pose with the tree, fireplace, and stockings. I'm sure it will happen again.

I didn't have any jean shorts, which I really wanted to complete the look, but I was going to a family party, so the skirt helped to dress the outfit up a bit, and the high waist grounded it in 2010.
The shirt is a few sizes too big, so I liked the idea of wearing it open. Having a solid-color tshirt also helped the outfit not look too blue. Wearing blue and denim is always a bit of a risk in my book. The feminine necklace seemed like a lovely contrast to the more masculine plaid shirt and boots.
Shirt: Thrifted, Value Village, Vancouver
Skirt: Thrifted by Erin, Salvation Army, Kerrisdale, Vancouver
Tights: Kohl's
Boots: Gifted, Mom and Dad, Doc Marten's
Necklace: Gifted, AlyWebb
And of course, my Doc Marten-clad feet taking it easy by the fireplace. xoxo Anna Rae

2 comments:

  1. mono brown12/01/2010

    Love the combination of purple docs with the blue outfit. It's just. I love it. Also. The part about talking about the Clinton sex scandal and listening to Oasis was hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whaaat? Awesome shirt.

    God bless the 90's.

    ReplyDelete