Friday, September 3, 2010

Getting Defensive

One of the last steps between me and PhD candidacy was a comprehensive paper defence. Since I knew I was going to feel nervous and uncomfortable, I wore something that I normally avoid because it makes me feel exactly the same way: a skirt. Yes, skirts cause me a profound discomfort that pants and dresses do not. I don't like the way they orbit around my waist, are often too short, and require just the right top to pair them with.

While I wish this skirt was a few inches longer (I am quite tall), I really liked the pleating and pockets. The wide waistband also means that I can pretend it is sitting at my waist rather than my hips (I am very short-waisted) and tuck tops in. I am looking forward to solving the length problem with opaque tights when weather permits.

The best thing about the skirt, however, is that it served as a neutral background for one of the most riotous floral prints in my collection. I have nothing but admiration for the textile designer who decided to pair fuschia with orange. The blouse's not-so-shrinking daisies made me feel almost as bold as they are.
Skirt: Teenflo, Winners
Blouse: Semantiks, Nordstrom's
Flats: Sam Edelman, Winners
Glasses: Joe Fresh, The Real Canadian Superstore

1 comment:

  1. Erin, congrats on the non-defense-like defense! I can't wait to hear all about it. Congrats, also, on wearing a skirt, since I know you're hesitant. I love this skirt so much! I hope you are able to work it into your wardrobe a few more times --maybe with a Liberty of London blouse -- especially to see how you wear it with tights.

    ReplyDelete