Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Do you like this outfit? No.

I asked my mom if she liked my outfit, and she replied, without a moment's hesitation, "No." She said that she knew it was a dress and she knew that I was wearing a dress underneath a skirt -- something that she felt was just too weird. I really like this outfit, though, so I hope you feel more like I did and less like Karen did.
This is the first outfit from teaching that I posted because, aside from wearing my Anthropologie dress, I've only worn patterned skirts and plain tshirts, boring versions of outfits I've already photographed. I had something very similar picked out for today, but then last night I saw Erin's post and got inspired. She stepped out of her comfort zone and apartment, and I could mix up the teaching clothes a bit, too.
I like this outfit because of the muted colors -- paring them with flowered shoes and flower and pearl earrings seemed so feminine, even a little whimsical and romantic. The mixed patterns were subtle, the polka dots so faint on the denim, and the blue blended perfectly into the skirt.
Mom was absolutely right -- I am wearing a dress as a shirt. The dress is far too shirt to wear without tights, especially to teach in, but I still really love it, and especially loved how the waistband of the dress fell right above the waistband of the skirt, allowing the tie to almost seem like a belt for the skirt.
Dress (as shirt): Charlotte Russe
Skirt: Thrifted, Church Thrift Store in Greensburg, Old Navy originally
Shoes: Target
Earrings: Gifted, AlyWebb, Flea Market or Garage Sale
Thanks to Julie for taking my pictures -- who knew the side of my house was so scenic? xoxo Anna Rae

3 comments:

  1. Oh Anna I love this! I think the muted colours and patterns is what makes it work. I am beginning to learn that if patterns are to be mixed they need to be in the same colour and intensity family. And well I know all about family intensity... and would prefer to keep it in my wardrobe!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that you do! I'm beginning to think the same thing about pattern mixing -- I think it's part of the reason why i like this one so much and why I'm drawn to bright florals with black and white, muted with muted or color extremes.

    Speaking of mixed patterns and florals, I'd love to see a floral brooch pinned onto your leopard cardigan sometime.
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9/01/2010

    Definately loved this outfit Anna, you're such a stylish teacher

    ~Julie

    ReplyDelete