Thursday, September 23, 2010

New Woman's new pants

This outfit is centered around these extremely high-waisted pants I found at the thrift store this week. I love how these pants feel like they should be worn by both a 1920s New Woman, smoking cigarettes and riding around a bike and a 1940s woman of society. They're a bit short, but I think the hem was added by the last person who owned them (something I can never really know for sure on my own), so I'm going to double-check with Mom, sewing expert, and then seam rip away. If not, I might get them altered into shorts, and since they were only $2, it'd be worth the alterations.
Speaking of the low low price, I love these pants, but I know they are not the most flattering for my body nor are they a classic silhouette that will seem fresh season after season. I bought them because they were a fun, interesting find and very much in vogue. My staple dress pants from the Loft sit right below my belly button, are hemmed exactly for my height, and flow away from the leg nicely (to use Clinton's WNTW terminology). The same cannot be said for these pants, which is why $2 is a perfect price. But I would caution all new thrift store shoppers not to be taken too much by the novelty of low prices. Two dollars spent on an item of clothing you'll never wear is a wasted two dollars.

Since the pants have both a funky and quirky feel, I tried to make the accessories match the tone. I dressed up my t-shirt with my bronze and pearl necklace and this navy faux floral brooch (stolen from my blazer, which I one day hope to wear with these pants, if the temperature can manage to drop below 70), and these sunglasses that add a great splash of color. I think my favorite accessory to the outfit is my lipstick -- thanks again Erin for reintroducing me to the wonderful world of make-up.
Pants: Thrifted, Alabaster's Attic
Shirt: Old Navy
Brooch: from blazer, AE
Necklace: Shop in Madrid
Sunglasses: Plenty
Shoes: AE

I feel like Elaine Stritch is singing "Ladies Who Lunch" to me. xoxo Anna Rae

1 comment:

  1. The sassy attitude of these shots is my favourite thing about them! I think the pants are calling out to be used in a Halloween costume this year-- Katherine Hepburn?
    ~Erin

    ReplyDelete