Saturday, September 11, 2010

Look Ma No Pants

I really like eBay shopping: I can get incredible deals on brands I wouldn't be able to afford otherwise, and gently (or never) used items from places like Banana Republic and Ann Taylor. My best advice, however, is 'caveat emptor'-- with no returns or try-ons, you have to cover your bases. Like measurements. And what serves as a 'dress' to some might not to 5'9'' ladies. Despite my best excuses (The leggings are really thick! My bum is covered! Everyone else is doing it!) I am really just wearing a tunic. And no pants.

The solution? A sylvan romp and my best Robin Hood/Elf impression. And my top 3 eBay (and online in general) shopping tips to save you from pantslessness:

1. Take measurements! Shop from brands that you trust, know fit you, and that you have tried before but also get garment measurements. A good seller will give the bust, waist, hip, and length (ahem!) dimensions of the ACTUAL garment (not just the brand size charts). Use a measuring tape and compare them with something similar that fits you well. This works for shoes as well with the insole measurement

2. Don't take risks! As well as purchasing known brands, things like cardigans are low risk and jeans high risk in terms of how exact the fit needs to be. I only buy jeans that I have tried on before and know the style name and number, and I still confirm the dimensions with my trusty measuring tape. Don't take risks with sellers either. Purchase from North American sellers with excellent ratings who guarantee authenticity. Ask about the garment condition and for additional photos if needed

3. Know your prices! Be aware of what something costs retail (just google it!) and only purchase something if it is truly a deal. I like to only buy something if it is 50% or less below the retail price and if the shipping is reasonable. The $10 shoes are not a deal if they cost $30 to ship.

Despite its brevity, I am still pretty happy with this purchase. I love how the print of the silk fabric and pleating detail looks with my ruffled cardigan and flower necklace. And I can always shorten it into a blouse...

Tunic: Nanette Lepore, eBay

Leggings: Lululemon

Cardigan: Mexx

Wedge Boots: Diba, Ross Dress for Less

Necklace: Vintage, Etsy





3 comments:

  1. Erin - I am so glad you gave a close up of the tunic because I LOVE the print! You can't really tell how lovely the material is from the far away pictures either, so good decision!
    Libby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin, I really love anything Nanette Lepore that you've ever purchased or showed me online and this tunic is no exception! This outfit really captures Vancouver style to me, especially since you're wearing Lululemon.

    Thanks for posting these online shopping rules -- I really do consider you an expert.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin- I don't know you but think that your style is adorable! Thanks for the shopping tips, really, I hope to start buying some new (to me, at at least) clothing soon but cost is an issue so perhaps, with your trusty tips, I'll try eBay. I also agree with Libby, close-ups are a must, thanks for obliging!

    ReplyDelete