Monday, January 3, 2011

Comfort and Joy

Confession: I don't always dress up. In fact, in true Vancouverite fashion (see what I did there?) I often parade around in Lululemon pants, Aritzia hoodies and Puma sneakers. And I think it is just fine! For my New Year's recovery outfit, however, I wanted to be super cozy but also more winter walk than hangover homebody.
The key (and yes I received my very own Tiffany key for Christmas from my special man friend!) to comfort is this oversized cable knit cardi. I have wanted a thick and chunky knit one that was not a wrap for a while, but had almost given up hope because every sweater I found was an acrylic blend. If you don't want your sweater to pill, avoid synthetics! Go with 100% wool for the best long term washing and wearing. While is it true that cashmere will pill a bit, it is easily brushed, and, especially when blended with cotton or merino, wears beautifully. This Talbot's sweater, thanks to the discerning tastes of an older generation, is all merino wool. Yum. You might have noticed that I am a bit of a fabric content freak but it really makes a difference if you buy pieces you love and want them to last.

On a similar note, the purse you can catch glimpses of in these pictures was expensive (for me) but I have had it for over 6 years and I think it still looks great. If you spend money on a well-made and classic leather bag it will hopefully last at least 10 years with cleaning and minor repairs. One black and one white (or beige or metallic) should see you through most days. My New Year's clothing resolution is to buy less but buy better-- which doesn't necessarily mean fancy brands, just good quality. Do you have any fashion related resolutions? I would love to hear them!
Cardigan: Talbot's
Jeans: Gap
Tshirt: Velvet
Necklace: Tiffany's, gifted by Reece
Bag: BCBG
Sunglasses: Joe Fresh, Real Canadian Superstore
Boots: UGG

1 comment:

  1. Well done, Reece! I love your necklace, and I love your sweater! I've also had one on the top of my wishlist this winter.

    ReplyDelete