Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Old Hollywood Glamour for New Suburban Lifestyles

My grandmother, a child of the Depression, has some strange habits that we as a family have always attributed to her childhood in the 1930s. If she's drinking a coffee on Friday, but isn't done with it before she leaves for a weekend, she'll leave it on the counter to finish on a Monday. Examples like this, and others, left the 1930s unglamourized in my mind. Recently, though, I've been more interested in 1930s fashion: fur, the hats and headpieces, flattering cuts, knee pleats in skirts -- I've fallen in love. This outfit, mostly this vintage fur collar, has been inspired by the obsession.
I like this summery dress, and I thought that the fur would be a perfect way to winterize it. The colored tights were a last minute addition, and I didn't intend on adding any color to the outfit, but I thought that the jewel tone went so well with the collar and brightened up the mostly greys and browns. The accessories, of course, made this outfit. Aside from matching the dress, I thought that the stones on the earrings had a vintage feel, and the hat, with its side ribbon, seemed the perfect compliment to the main event, the collar.
Collar: Vintage, Etsy, Archives Chicago Shop
Dress: Thrifted, Value Village, Vancouver, Rietman's
Belt: Target
Cardigan: Thrifted, St. Vincent de Paul, Latrobe, Zara
Hat: Target
Tights: Hue
Boots: Gifted, Mom and Dad, Zappos, Chinese Laundry
Earrings: Gifted, Mom and Dad
I can't wait to rewear this collar, and am currently taking suggestions on how to wear it in my next attempt! xoxo Anna Rae

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous1/25/2011

    That collar is killer! I think you can also wear it with a turtleneck, almost like a necklace (but backwards...?) Maybe I'm just crazy. If you like 1930s fashion, you should watch Boardwalk Empire...it's set just before the Depression so the timing is only a little bit off, but your outfit reminded me of how much I enjoyed that show in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! My friend said the same thing -- I'll have to start watching it!

    Today when my mom came home from work, she wanted to try on the collar, and she was wearing a turtleneck. You're not crazy, it looked pretty cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1/26/2011

    haha please post a picture of aunt karen with the collar on!!

    Anna, i love this outfit! it's so glam, and who else can pull off a fur collar? not me! i also adore the GG hat :)

    xoxo Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie, you could totally pull it off! Next time I come over I'll bring it and style you up in it.

    And thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grammy actually had a coat with the same collar attached!! You just might be drinking 3 day old, left in the cup, cold coffee one day!!!Crazy skips a generation!!

    ReplyDelete