Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Red Letter Day

When lecturing on a Monday morning it is advisable to have some sort of sartorial distraction to keep the stragglers engaged. Yesterday it was red tights. While they would have been more appropriate for teaching about Chaucer's Wife of Bath ("hir hosen weren of fyn scarlet reed," proving that fashion is nothing if not cyclical) they gave me some pep in my step nonetheless
Houndstooth is the logical pairing for legs like these, and because this dress is a thick wool its heft toned down the screaming scarlet.

I kept things tongue-in-cheek with yet another telephone brooch and bow earrings. I may have attracted some stares on public transit, but I am still looking forward to bringing these tights out again.
Tights: Kate Spade, Ebay
Cardigan: Banana Republic
Dress: Lauren Ralph Lauren, The Bay
Wedges: Cole Haan, Freedman's South Grandville
Brooch: Vintage, Etsy
Earrings: Vintage, The Salvation Army Kerrisdale



2 comments:

  1. This is so great! As I said in the last comment, I've been thinking about pairing houndstooth and red tights for a while, and you've totally mastered it! The vintage brooch and earrings were a really great touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I just googled how to wear houndstooth and red tights and you're blog came up - I'm a new follower :) I have a houndstooth dress and jacket.. one of which I'm thinking about pairing with some red tights. Love this outfit on you!

    ReplyDelete