Saturday, April 10, 2010

The Gang's All Here

Welcome to the Tights that Bind, "A Very Special Episode" edition. No, no one is pregnant or dealing drugs, no one is joining gangs or cults or running with the wrong crowd, but something very important has happened. NEW PEOPLE are in the photographs. I know. You're stunned. And that's okay.

Let's begin with the same old, same old, though, because even on 7th Heaven they had to introduce the idea of Simon killing someone who was high on a bike or Ruthie's friend wearing a head covering, or anything involving Mary ever with a nice normal family situation so you could be reminded how things used to be before they get epic.
Yesterday was my last discussion group for TAing, so I wanted to look both professional and fun, and I wanted to wear this skirt again because I love it. The night before, while riding the bus all the way to East Van I listened to Tom Waits, closed my eyes, and imagined what my outfit might be. The first thing I thought of was these socks and how much I wanted to wear them slouched down with the skirt. Inspired by Jessica's outfit on What I Wore and knowing that my hair would still be backcombed, I decided to wear the socks with my gladiator sandals -- an excellent last summer purchase. My aversion to heels may have been noted by some of you, and it makes it a little hard sometimes to find great sandals.
The top that I mentally assigned to this outfit didn't really work, which resulted in me, moments before I should leave the house, fully dressed from the waist down, frantically rummaging through my piles of clothes, crying over their lack of blouses. I didn't want to just wear this one I always wear, and I really like the floral pattern on this shirt-dress. Unfortunately, when I first bought this, I really liked wearing it over a black turtleneck and black leggings that I used to pull it down below its natural neckline to make it long enough for the outfit, permanently stretching out the fabric. This was one of those outfits that often needed adjusting, but I still think it turned out well. Nice pattern mixing, I'd say, and I love the way the locket looks with it.

The socks and sandals really do make the outfit, though. What are your thoughts on the trend?

But, the really big deal about today's post: Introducing Mono and Erin!

Mono, pictured both above and below is so stylish, and in ways that I am not, and probably will never be. First, let's admire the Mia Farrow-like haircut that is so great, but tragically limited to so few people who are actually able to pull it off. I'd love for my hair to look like this, but if I ever cut it this short, it'd probably look the way JT's did in NSYNC. Also, if you can't tell by the Ray Bans and high-collared trench, Mono's look is cool. She doesn't have a lot of flash, just basic, stylish, well-fitted pieces that all adhere to her own very specific look. I hope that one day my style would find itself emerging into a cohesive look that could be pinned down and explained, but that hasn't quite happened yet.

With me here is Erin, the until now unseen genius behind The Tights that Bind -- my talented and enthusiastic photographer. We're posed with our matching glasses, though mine are last season's black (gifted by her, if you remember) and hers are the new tortoise shell. As you can tell, both Erin and Mono are quite talented at posing for pictures, something I need to learn, or perhaps have convinced myself I need to learn, because -- really, who doesn't want an excuse to watch ANTM marathons? Still, it was nice to have someone else acknowledge how incredibly awkward it is to pose for pictures, no matter how nice they turn out.

Someday soon, this blog will feature a Style Inspiration post devoted to Erin, her clothes, and her incredibly stylish lifestyle. I don't know how you could read this blog and not already be completely excited for that, but just in case someone out there is not yet convinced, here are the shoes Erin wore to school, as a stylish teaser.




Skirt: Purr
Shirt: Thrifted, St. Vincent dePaul, Latrobe
Shirt-dress: Market in Thailand
Locket: Gifted
Cardigan: Gifted
Socks: Target
Sandals: Old Navy

Have lovely weekends. xoxo Anna Rae

1 comment:

  1. Sandals and socks are a great look--you should wear them all the time!

    ReplyDelete