Friday, April 9, 2010

Flashback Friday: Venus Girl Trap...Jealous?

So because I already had a flashback episode this week, I really had to bring out a goodie with today's Flashback Friday. This, my friends, is my 7th grade school picture. Woof!

There are just so many things wrong with this picture. First of all, let's start with the least offensive aspect: my shirt color. 7th grade Libby, 7th grade Libby, 7th grade Libby, please don't wear this color green. It makes you look pukey and jaundiced. It's just unfortunate looking all around.

Next, why did I think it was a good idea to wear a shirt for a school picture that contains the saying "Venus Girl Trap"? It was from PacSun - I distinctly remember because I went through a phase where I would wear nothing but PacSun clothing and my mom hated it...it's pretty obvious why after looking at this picture. And it's so unfortunate that this is the mental image I have of PacSun even today because I've looked at other blogs and PacSun is carrying some cute things! Darn my 7th grade style.

Now let's move onto the hair...oh the hair! It's so.frizzy.! I clearly tried to hot roll fabulous curls in order to impress some boy or another, but let's face it, (and pardon the pun) it fell flat. You know what didn't fall flat, though? My eyebrows. Holy cow those things look bushy enough to be 3D! Wow, you don't even need those fancy glasses, my eyebrows jump out of the computer screen on their own. I won't complain too much, though; we saw from my 8th grade Mathlete photo how thin my eyebrows get and that really isn't a good thing, either.

And, I also vividly remember that headband. Did you all wear those metal headbands with the little teeth that would dig into your scalp and hurt so badly and not even do anything special enough to withstand the pain? Ohh, memories. Did you guys do anything in the name of fashion that now when you look back on it was either A) Painful B) Extra ridiculous looking (It's okay, everyone was wearing acid wash jeans) or C) Just plain Laughable??

I will also only spend a minute on my bad teeth - I begged for braces because of how much I hated my gapped teeth. I was so embarrassed - teeth are very important to me. Finally, in 9th grade I got my wish, and braces. Phew. (No joke, that image that I just linked would totally be me presently if I had to get braces...sweater vest, argyle, bangs and all).

Isn't it funny though? How willing I am to share these hideous pictures of my face yet feel so uncomfortable now? Maybe I'll start posting some pics of my face currently, school picture style followed by my outfit for the day. Yeah, maybe that way I'll get over my awkwardness. At least nothing can be worse than this...right?

3 comments:

  1. Libby, I think you were cute in middle school, just in the awkward phase that everyone (sans Melissa Robinsky) has. I mean, do you remember my most cherished shirt -- it was bright orange, had a giraffe on it, and said Paul Frank in enormous letters down the sleeve. Also, I wore blush on the bridge of my nose because the "sunburnt look" was cool.

    But, I completely agree about those awful, awful headbands. What about those barrette that were almost like bobby pins that clipped in? Terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annie, only a true friend would say I was cute in middle school - thank you. Not even my mother said that - I believe her exact words were "Oh geez, I was blinded by love but you and your brother were so unfortunate looking in middle school."

    ReplyDelete
  3. i believe i said---oh no, you guys were as homely as i was!!! what an awkward age hahahaha

    ReplyDelete