Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Question: What's Big in the Hips and Polka Dot All Over?

Answer: Libby today apparently! Wow, I don't think my hips looked this big in person today, I'm pretty sure it's just an awkward angle - trust me. These are the jeans that are totally flattering! How dare they fool you faithful reader(s) (ahem, I basically mean you, Amanda. Hehe). Today was the last day of classes for the semester so I just really wanted a laid back look and kind of preppy/studious - whoa, look at me pulling out those pseudo descriptive looks that I was trying to put together. Who am I kidding? I like polka dots, obviously my Clarks and, quite frankly, I was fooled by the sun with the temperature outside so I put on short sleeves.

Quick story - sometimes I get fooled by the sun. No joke. Sometimes, when the sun is shining (even in winter) I think it's warm out. It can be below freezing outside in the middle of January, but by God if the sun is shining, I walk out of the front door without a coat. Every time..every single time! I don't know what it is - must be a mental block and my inability to understand science. I mean this whole idea goes against my entire science education foundation. Just do me a favor and correct me if I'm wrong - Sun = Hot. Am I right?? (Cue the sarcastic "Please, Ms. Science, Tell us more!!)

Anyways, another fun story about my outfit. So I'm sitting in class and notice my adorable 60(ish) year old professor's shoes. And guess what people? He was wearing almost the exact same boat shoes as I was! (They were LL Bean, and mine are Clarks, though..minor difference). So of course I told him how stylish they were and obnoxiously stuck out my feet to show him. He seemed pleased, laughed, and told me that his wife would be happy because she picked them out for him.

One time in 6th grade, I walked into my first day of school (first day in a new school no less and clearly dressed to impress) and was wearing the same.exact.Nike.tennis.shoes as the teacher Mrs. Virone (HORROR!!!!). How.EMBARRASSING. Srsly. Even though I begged for those shoes - I refused to wear them unless it was during gym class. It scarred me for reals, guys. I didn't even tell my mom, but now since she reads this blog I guess the cat is out of the bag. Whoops - sorry, Mom (and Dad) for wasting that money.

But I guess what that story equates to is how I've realized how awesome it is to wear the same shoes as a 60 year old man. Instead of being embarrassed, I embraced it. Be confident in your style choices people! ...Even if they make your thighs look unreasonably large...

Until tomorrow. Libby

Shoes: Clarks
Jeans: Express
Gray Shirt: Old Navy
Polka Dot Sweater: American Eagle
Ring: H&M

5 comments:

  1. Libby (sigh) -- your hips don't look large, your waist is just extra cinched because you're accentuating it with a belt, giving you an hourglass figure. The figure every woman wants. Calm down.

    I do empathize with the sun = warm thought process. I'm never dressed appropriately for the weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much to comment on...

    1) You don't look hippy. I blame the media though. They condition us to think that stick thin women with giant boobs are what's up but really, guys like curves in other areas too like the hips and butt. And, I think that you have yoga to thank for your waist looking extra small, not that belt.

    2) At least your parents bought you the tennis shoes that you wanted. In sixth grade, all I wanted were black Adidas Sambas and my mom insisted that I buy the cheaper black Reebox instead. Wah wah.

    3) LMAO those sleeves! Do you think they make them in little sizes for Baby?

    4) Lone reader shout-out, holla!

    Ok, I think that is all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sure that we spent or "wasted" more $$$ on more important things than those nike!!! but, i understand being compared to mrs. virone!!! poor little baby girl ..hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda, I'm sorry your parents refused to buy you cooler kid shoes - who knows though, maybe Mrs. Virone owned a pair and then you would have been horrified.
    Also, OMG I hope they make those sleeves for Baby because she's definitely wearing them when she's born and the Pens are in the playoffs still (Crossing fingers).
    I can't believe you didn't reference my Preppy/Zack Morris tribute...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man, Baby Brain! I totally had two other comments... one was actually about your preppy/studious reference... here they are:

    5) You're so preppy/studious that you could be a member of "The Powerhouse Preppies."

    6) I have the same issue with the sun but rather than check weather.com or um, simply go outside and see if I need a sweater or coat, I ask your brother what he thinks it's like outside (even though he hasn't been outside yet either). He gets exasperated and tells me to check the weather (or WALK OUTSIDE). I think this affects all girls because from working on a college campus in my previous life, I've seen one too many girls walking around in the sunny cold with flip flips and sundresses.

    ReplyDelete