Thursday, March 18, 2010

Afternoon Tea at the DAR

It's all about the blazer and pearls today, kids.

Today, I worked my outfit out around my new skirt, another great Saturday shopping success! Although the skirt is actually a bit masculine with the big buttons and nautical feel, I thought I could really dress it up in a way that it would fit in perfectly with an afternoon of errands in high society. Also, since it wasn't raining, I really wanted to wear my tweed flats. The outfit turned out well, I think, because I'm wearing so many of my most beloved pieces. There's nothing better than wearing clothes you absolutely love.
Andrew, lovely friend and today's photographer, made a special appearance in this picture via his shadow, and I think it gives this one a little bit of a creepy feel to it. Excellent.
Again, the idea was to make the outfit a little weird (read: me), so I paired the society-accepted blazer - Blazer, how I love you and your Coco Chanel-ness - flats, and skirt with my pink tights and instead of a shirt with pears, my shirt that already has pearls screen printed on it.
I think these earrings are a perfect match for the tshirt. Because AlyWebb found them at a garage sale and because they have a hilarious gold-plated pink flower on each, they have just the same amount of silliness as pearls screen printed onto a tshirt.
I absolutely adore this skirt -- thus the great skirt challenge of 2010.

What is the great skirt challenge of 2010, you ask? Well, when trying to find a teaching-appropriate and team-spirited outfit to wear tomorrow for both TAing and watching Pitt play in their first game of the Big Dance, I couldn't find anything better than an outfit featuring this skirt. So I thought (Sorry, Mom), why not wear this skirt again tomorrow? No one in my seminar today is in my discussion group tomorrow. Go for it, Anna. Hopefully, they'll be styled so differently that they'll look like different skirts altogether. That's the challenge -- that people like both outfits so much that it overwhelms their initial resistance to repeat skirt wearing offenses. So let me know what you think.

Blazer: Gifted by Karen and Mark, but from AE
Shirt: Jacob
Skirt: AE
Tights: We Love Colors
Shoes: AE
Jewelry: Gifted by AlyWebb
Wow, I didn't really realize how American Eaglized this outfit was until just now. Oh, hey, 8th-grade fashion sense, it's good to see you again old friend.

xoxo Anna Rae

3 comments:

  1. I'm so sad I wasn't at school to see this outfit in the flesh! My suggestions for styling challenge number two are a tucked in shirt (with a belt?) and mustard tights. Maybe with your yellow scarf as a hair bow? But I'm sure you will come up with something better than I could ever imagine. xo e

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Erin. There are a few explanations about what is going on here: you pay really close attention to what I wear, I've coped how I dress off of how you dress, you only pretended to not know about the movie Teen Witch, and it is actually about you and your psychic life.

    Your suggestion is dead=on with the outfit that I already planned, except no scarf bow this time. But, you did inspire me to wear it now, as I study.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3/19/2010

    You're right! I love the outfit. Andrew's shadow IS creepy - stuff dreams are made of!

    ReplyDelete