Monday, March 1, 2010

Okay, so you're probably going, "Is this like a Noxzema commercial or what?"

Today, while doing research for a presentation I'm giving tomorrow on shame (which, if you were wondering, is a completely depressing thing to think about for hours on end), I was reading a book on blushing in the nineteenth century, which quoted Clueless in its introduction. Amazing. Anyway, that inspired me to put down the book and do some far more interesting and just as intellectual research, like watching this video on youtube.

The fashion in Clueless is amazing. And, maybe it's just another sign of the great 90s comeback, but all of the trends seem so refreshing: the plaid, Cher's simple bow dresses, Dionne's fur blazer, the sheer overshirts, knee socks, berets, that amazing plaid jacket that Cher wears in the scene when everyone is applauding her.

Clueless has just added another tick to its list of innovations, though. If you recall the first scene, when Cher dresses herself using the digital wardrobe on her computer, then you should be delighted to know that you can have your own. Both Katy and Krystal (note how I used their first names instead of typing Kansas Couture or This Time Tomorrow. We're all in the same blogging community now, it's almost like being friends), so its nothing new, but that doesn't make it any less amazing. I apologize now for all the hours you'll spend deciding how many belts you want to go around that romantic spring dress, just to make it seem edgy enough to suit the beautifully studded heels.

And, I'll leave you with this gem: So okay, I don't want to be a traitor to my generation and all but I don't get how guys dress today. I mean, come on, it looks like they just fell out of bed and put on some baggy pants and take their greasy hair - ew - and cover it up with a backwards cap and like, we're expected to swoon? I don't think so. - Cher Horowitz

xoxo Anna Rae

No comments:

Post a Comment