Monday, March 22, 2010

Jeans, Jeans, the Musical Fruit...

Happy Monday! I would first like to point out that I appreciate how different Anna and I are concerning our own fashion and fashion related opinions. That said, Awwwh Heeeeeellllll Noooo do I want a guy wearing a skirt. I prefer my guys tall, dark and pants-wearing. While I agree that fashion should not make women feel uncomfortable and objectified and whatnot, how you carry yourself is the most important thing when choosing an outfit.

Today, I made it a point to dress on the more masculine side - trouser jeans, collared-button down and to top it all off, I tucked it in. I didn't belt my waist so that my figure is a little boxier than usual, but I'm okay with it. The jeans are a flattering fit, my heels add height which make my legs look longer, and I layered a camisole underneath my collared shirt so that I could unbutton it more than usual. I achieved a look that is both masculine, but still incorporates my idea of style into it. I like myoutfit - I feel confident and comfortable and reassured knowing that I can pull of a look that doesn't scream "femininity!"
Granted, it's fine if a guy wears a pink or purple shirt (colors that are typically associated with girls) but please.Please.PLEASE pair them with shorts or pants. Granted, stories chastising Shiloh Jolie-Pitt for dressing like a little boy and accusing Angelina of turning her into a little boy frustrate me to no end - let her dress however she damn well pleases people! Don't criticize her choices of perhaps identifying more masculine than feminine - what if all this ridicule scars her someday concerning her own self-concept? (I'm a psychology undergrad and future counselor - these things concern me).

But for goodness sakes, guys, don't wear a skirt to push the fashion envelope - I know you're doing it to be different so let's not skirt the issue (ha, thanks, I'm here all day) leave the skirt wearing to your lady friends and put on some pants.

Boots: Steve Madden
Jeans: Express
Shirt: American Eagle
Camisole: Express
Ring: H&M
Necklace: Amanda McCarthy Designs

3 comments:

  1. AMD = HOLLA!

    Men NOT wearing skirts = HOLLA HOLLA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these trouser jeans. To me, they seem to be crying out for a big belt buckle, perhaps with a nautical theme. Your outfit just seems so sailor chic!

    And my mom told me that she agrees with you on the men in skirts issue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha I appreciate your mom's appreciation for my vanilla style.

    And I do love nautical themes!

    ReplyDelete