Wednesday, March 17, 2010

And it's back to the basement

Although another rainy day prohibited any outside pictures, I did try very hard to take pictures in the Reading Room, instead of my poorly-lit apartment. But, in typical and classy me fashion, one of the buttons on my dress was undone. So it's back to the basement. You might think I'm wearing sunglasses because I half-washed the make-up off of my face and the remaining mascara and eye-liner have created a rough-and-tumble black-eye look that doesn't really match my outfit, as I am dressed like someone who would say rough-and-tumble, someone who would certainly never get a black eye (unless, of course, she got said black eye from running into someone's elbow in gym class or from opening a door into her face...). Well, you may only be half right. I may be actually be wearing these sunglasses because I've been weeping tears of joy for the 3rd grader inside of me whose mom never let her have Doc Martens and a babydoll dress when they were in style the first time around. That's right, I'm wearing my Docs with a babydoll dress! And, oh hey, messy unmade bed and coat tossed carelessly onto the chair. Good to see you again. This dress is new, another purchase from the States shopping extravaganza. The cardigan, also new, was bought to wear with my (also new) Easter dress, but I thought it went well with the sweet, feminine, and youthful feel of the dress. I knew that if I wanted to wear my Docs (which I always do), I needed to funk up the outfit a little, so I opted for the green tights, which I should have saved for tomorrow apparently, because it's St. Patrick's Day and who doesn't love a dress-up theme?
Aren't they beautiful? My mom bought them for me when she and Dad visited this summer, and they are the best footwear for the rain imaginable. To be fair to Mark and Karen, Doc Martens are a big investment for an 8-year-old whose feet are still growing, especially if she attends Catholic grade school where uniforms and not Doc Martens are part of the strict dress code. Also, I know I appreciate them so much more now than I would have then, as I would have worn them over those awful stirrup pants that Karen had no qualms about buying me.
Because the dress and cardigan were so feminine in an almost dated way, I back-combed my hair and wore my clip-on earrings to add to the slightly retro feel.

And, you know, you're right. Those sunglasses look so ridiculous. xoxo Anna Rae

Dress: Charlotte Russe (another middle school favorite!)
Cardigan: Old Navy
Tights: We Love Colors
Shoes: Gifted Doc Martens
Earrings: Costume Jewelry I found in my childhood jewelry box
Sunglasses: 3 Vets Ltd, Army Surplus Store

3 comments:

  1. Aunt Donna3/17/2010

    love the outfit-the color of the doc martens is a bit much but you pulled it off! I really like the dress and the way you did your hair. Next time you are in the States-well Western PA-we need to take you to the Southside to shop-lots of vintage things there. Everytime I go past them I think of you and Libby!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I consider your approval high praise, as you are the most stylish of my aunts.

    Are the shops on Carey street? Sometimes I know a little bit about Pittsburgh. Also, I'd clearly like to do a blog post on Aunt Angie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my tread lightly with the blog about Aunt Angie!! What we would find amusing-she may feel insulted. The shops are on Carson Street-is that what you meant? THey are very close to where Libby used to live.

    I am soooo the most stylish of your Aunts! Is that really a compliment??!!

    ReplyDelete