Tuesday, March 9, 2010

And we're off


Welcome to our first day of outfit posting, starring the yellow tights, they certainly are the ties that bind. Except, well, I might have actually worn this outfit yesterday so that I could post it today while still in my pajamas (which do not include, thank you very much a Cinderella cast shirt from the 8th grade Musical Drama production. Maybe if Libby had been such an amazing stepsister that carried the entire show winning the praise and approval of complete strangers she'd also still wear that shirt). Because I'm a student (note the books as backdrop), I really do have a lot of freedom with what I wear. I built this outfit around the tights, though, since we decided that the first post should have some sort of connection before complete and total chaos took over.
The textures of this outfit actually became its most interesting feature, and I really like the way the shirt works layered over the plaid.

The button-down shirt was the main inspiration, as I thought it would work well with the tights. I was having trouble finding a middle piece to tie the two together, but then I remembered this skirt, which is actually an ill-fitting dress that I found in a California Goodwill. I cut the spaghetti straps once I bought it to make it into a halter, more of a wear over your bathing suit to the beach kind of thing, but I think I might just permanently cut and sew it because I like the idea of it as a skirt much better. Maybe I'll use the straps as belt loops because although I think the shirt hides it a bit, it kind of has an awkward waist. I tried to use some simpler, more neutral accessories, so I opted for my slouchy boots, which I originally bought for my Dolly Parton Halloween costume, but have really become a staple for the wardrobe. I think they work really well in making the tights look like a little less of a crazy color as opposed to any black shoes that kind of make it look like a bumblebee combination or my purple doc martens which really just shout, Contrasting Colors! (a look that I love, by the way, just not paired with a neon blue skirt). The earrings matched the shirt really well and added some muted colors.

Shirt: Gabes, a factory-warehouse type store that I'm including a link for because it often seems difficult to explain to those outside of Pennsylvania or Ohio
Skirt: Thrifted, altered from dress
Tank top: Hanes
Tights: We Love Colors
Boots: The Shoe Warehouse in Kits, but I have no idea about the brand.
Earrings: Gifted from AlyWebb
Photos taken by the lovely and talented Erin.

After wearing this outfit to school, I came home and wore the skirt and tights combo with my homemade "Team Little J" shirt to host a return of Gossip Girl! party. The fashion on the show deserves a post (or many) of its own and I won't insult it by adding it as a tack-on to this one, but let's all agree that the most coveted piece of fashion from last night is Blair's Anna Karenina hat.

Also, can we just add, after looking at both mine and Libby's posts, that she has really studied the way that bloggers pose for these pictures? Oh Libby, who knew you were a model all along.

xoxo Anna Rae

5 comments:

  1. super awesome outfit, anna! definitely reflects Vancouver seasonality.. (February showers bring March flowers) ...with the happy colours of your skirt and earrings, whilst maintaining practicality: i.e., boots. loves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Carmen! I feel like the Vancouver weather has a really specific effect on fashion -- the footwear, for one, but also the idea that you're always sort of dressing for the same season (plus or minus a cardigan or scarf).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh geez...did I look like a bumblebee because of my tights/shoe combination?? Crap...
    xoxLib

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3/10/2010

    I am sorry to say that I'm addicted to this website.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No way Libbers. You might have if you wore a black dress. But, I'll probably wear one with my tights anyways (let's face facts that I actually don't like wearing sports team colors). Xoxo.

    ReplyDelete