Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Awkwardness at its Finest

Can we just blog for a minute about how freakin' awkward it is to take pictures of/by yourself?! I love to take pictures with friends or family, heck I'll even pose with a stranger, but ask me to pose by myself and I feel like a complete doof. Anyways, perhaps through time it will get less awkward. I hope. And p.s. can we note the (finally!) melting snow? Pittsburgh was buried with about 2 feet a couple of weeks ago and you can now see some of the ground. Phew.

So today I met my parents at the Strip District. I love the Strip District - All sorts of fun food is found there. Also, the Deli Man at the one shop is in love with me - we kind of (definitely) flirt all.the.time because well, I'm a grad student and it doesn't hurt to get the imported lunch meat for the domestic price. Then again, who am I kidding? The main reason I go there with my parents is that they buy the stuff for me so I guess my irresistible charm works out for them, too.

Side note, one time the Man Behind the Counter told me that while he didn't have an M.D., he was a D.M....Deli Man. I laughed, he gave me free samples of salami and it all worked out swimmingly. He's like 60, give him a break.
Back to my outfit I guess. So it's still a little chilly here in Pittsburgh so I went to my go-to blazer from The Gap. (I bought the black one, too...you'll probably (most definitely) see it sometime soon). It's sweatshirt material which means it's oh-so-comfy, yet polished looking. I added the belt to define some sort of waist. I love this hat from American Eagle to add a pop of color - You'll learn that I'm usually not as bold with my color choices as I was yesterday and that I tend to wear more muted things on most days. I'm not very adventurous.

I'm obsessed with my necklace. And while some of the more investigative blog readers will cry "NEPOTISM!" I will just be upfront and say that, yes, my sister-in-law is the designer of these fine pieces. Wait. Did we mention our last names on this blog? No? Oh well, I'm not above a shameless promotion for her. In fact, you'll see me wear a few of her pieces so get used to 'em! Check out her website - the jewelry's super cute and my soon-to-be niece needs a college education...or if I have my way, lots of cute shoes.

Until tomorrow. Libby

Hat and Ring: American Eagle (side note: The hat was $4!!! I LOVE sales!)
Shirt and Blazer: Gap
Jeans: Express
Shoes: Steve Madden
Belt: Nordstrom
Necklace: Amanda McCarthy Designs
Sunglasses: Nine West

4 comments:

  1. Well, obviously I love your necklace and I totally approve of nepotism. Thanks for the shout out! And yes, TTTB readers, please visit my site and buy jewelry, Libby's right, my daughter's diapers aren't going to buy themselves.

    Re: your outfit. I love it! I love that the blazer is sweatshirt material and I'm jealous. I love that you added a belt, so smart. AND I love the hat. I wish that I would take more risks with hats. I never thought that I could pull them off with my giant nose but Pappap seems to like my black chapeau so maybe I'll try wearing more, haha. Thanks for the inspiration, Lib!

    P.S. I love deli meats, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I posted this earlier, and it never showed up...

    Libbers, are your flats an animal print? CLOSE UP, Please.

    I love this outfit -- it's so casual but pulled together.

    xoxoAnnaRae

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, alas they are not animal print...but they are studded which is equally as exciting in my book.

    And Thanks! I love being casual yet pulled together, it's what I strive for!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda,
    I say that if Pappap likes anything fashion related - go for it! He's a dapper gentleman. Take a chance with some hats or bursts of color - I'm super plain with my outfits but like to add one thing that's interesting. And Baby will think you're so cool.

    And who doesn't love deli meat? It's delicious! Deli meat and fashion go hand in hand in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete