Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Team Little J

I think the dramatic -- no, we should probably say epic -- decline of Little J from a once promising designer to a drug dealer who broods in her room to the Dirty Dancing soundtrack has inspired me. I woke up this morning, looked at the very Blair Waldorf outfit I had set out for myself (yes, I set out my clothes the night before. But not only that, I also plan them out for the week on my post-it note widget), and immediately changed my mind.Not that Little J would wear this. The tights are a color, the hemline is not nearly short enough, and the socks should not be worn below the knee, but up to the thigh, with no tights underneath. And she'd probably never wear a polka dot, which is actually a good way to summarize all that is wrong with being too rebellious as a teen. This polka-dot cardigan is one of my favorites. Still, season one Jenny Humphrey with her crazy tights and bangle bracelets would have appreciated the styling.
Yesterday I mixed patterns in a completely socially acceptable way, and while the live response was positive, the blog response was not. The difference in opinion really reflects the commenting audience of the blog (my aunt and my mom, who commented on the phone when saying, "Well you know me, of course I didn't like it, but I still thought that you looked cute") and the fact that no one is going to walk up to you at school and say, "How are you liking Puddin'head Wilson? (it's weird) and, oh by the way, your outfit is totally lame." Despite the mixed response (or perhaps inspired by it), I decided to take the mixing a step further and add color. I usually have trouble finding outfits to wear with these tights because they are so insanely bright, which is unfortunate because purple is my favorite color.
Despite how completely unflattering knee socks may be, I'm completely in love with them. I think if I were to wear this outfit again, though, I'd change the shoes. Instead of highlighting the fact that I'm wearing knee socks, like a printed or color flat might, these black flats kind of make it look like I'm wearing boots. But I already own black boots. And if I wanted to wear them, I would, even if the zipper on the right one is totally broken.
Isn't the location of today's pictures great? It's in the middle of the Arts' building's main floor, and Erin luckily remembered it from invigilating finals in the building. As far as I can tell, it has no real purpose, but someone was napping on one of the benches when we arrived, so I guess that's something. That green seems far too distracting to do any real work, though. Erin is pretty much the unofficial official blog photographer for the Tights that Bind, Vancouver location. We were discussing off of UBC sites to feature in the blog, and I think if you keep reading, you may find yourself seeing a tour of this lovely, little, often-gloomy city, which would be a bit more exciting if the extensive television coverage of the Olympics hadn't already done something similar.
Socks, colored tights, mixed patterns, and cardigans. It's like the Anna Rae Hit Parade.

Cardigan: Gifted by Mom, but really from AE
Dress: Street Vendor in Camden Markets, London
Belt: Gifted by Camilla
Socks: Gifted by Grammy -- this year for Christmas she gave me, among other things, a box of great black and grey socks, including ones with stripes and polka dots. Oh Grammy, so hip.
Shoes: AE
Necklace: Gifted by Erin (another giveaway!)

I will wear you down with new Spring trends, readers.
xoxo Anna Rae


2 comments:

  1. That dress looks super cute - I want to see it without the cardigan covering it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is also a generation gap with your commenting audience. Your mom and I will never be so bold with our patterns!! But the point is that you feel pretty in your wardrobe choices! The knee socks really have to go-but I do love the space!

    ReplyDelete