Thursday, March 18, 2010

Victor/Victoria

Before I start this post, I'd like to mention that my mom now reads this blog. Hey Mom! Also, she thinks that Libby's clothes are nicer than mine.

So, the first thing you may notice about these pictures is that the windswept look is a lot less sexy when you rely on bangs to make your face look normal and are visibly put off by how the wind is refusing to let your shirt lie. I'll let that distract you for a moment or two.
And onto the outfit: Since I wore my St. Patrick's Day appropriately colored tights yesterday, today I had to settle for green shoes and sometimes telling people that I meant to dress like a leprechaun, which is a weird thing to say to people because they don't want to agree with you and offend you, but they also don't want to disagree with you. I don't actually think I look like a leprechaun, mostly because I don't really know what they look like, being magical mythical creatures and all, but maybe now that I put the idea in your head, you agree? We'll never know. Unless you comment about it.
Although the oversized men's button-down and vest are a classic Anna Rae combination, the tie is new to the look. I really like the idea of taking a staple men's look and styling it in a way that the social leniency for men doesn't really allow. Oh, rigid gender constructs in fashion, you remind me of David Sedaris's Misadventures with the Stadium Pal.
But, on point, to really style up the feminine and more interesting part of the outfit, I wore my yellow tights and green polka-dot flats, tying in some of the tie's colors. Also, the idea of a pair of dress shorts with tights is one of my favorite things about this season, it really helps to add a little life to the same old jeans routine. I repeated yesterday's back-combed hair and jewelry, as it seemed like the perfect counterpart to the traditional button-down, vest, and tie business.
Happy St. Paddy's Day -- Today my Irish friend informed me that no one in Ireland spells the shortened version of Patrick Patty, as that is just crazy and that most people in Ireland don't really drink as the main means of celebrating the day. The more you know, Kelly Kapoor.

Shirt: Thrifted, Value Village
Shorts: Thrifted, Value Village
Vest: Old Navy
Tie: H&M
Tights: We Love Colors
Flats: Old Navy

Goodnight blog readers and have sweet dreams about Huck Finn and Zombies, the topic of my response paper that I'm currently editing. xoxo Anna Rae

2 comments:

  1. Instead of Victor/Victoria (I LOVE THAT MOVIEEEE), I would dub this look more along the Annie Hall route. I enjoy this look, for reals. I love that you wore a tie, I did that once for "senior dress up" in high school. Libby wouldn't let me buy a Burberry bow tie, but if I see one again I'm just doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jocelyn you are so right! It's totally more of an Annie Hall look (if only I had the hat!). You should totally buy that bow tie -- I would totally do it, but I can't figure out how to tie bow ties. I get a lot of wear out of that tie though, it's more comfortable and just as fun as statement jewelry.

    ReplyDelete