Saturday, March 27, 2010

Seaside

To make up for the fact that I didn't post any pictures yesterday, today I wore two different outfits and posed for pictures in each, meaning that I'll have an outfit post for today and tomorrow.

This outfit, Daytime Anna, was received with great acclaim and had bestowed upon it high honors, such as "The Best of Your Blog Photos Yet!" (Erin) and "The Best Dressed at School Today!" (Emer), and we can only conclude that such accolades were thrown about because of how much everyone loves a nautical theme. How much? So much.
This outfit reminds me of the Sound of Music and everyone's favorite musically-inclined and morally upstanding naval officer, Captain Von Trapp. There is even a whistle necklace currently sitting in my Etsy shopping cart so I can wear it with this skirt, dress Libby up in an ugly dress and one of my straw hats and whistle her call, just so she can indignantly inform me that she will not answer to a whistle, as whistles are for dogs and cats, but not for children and certainly not for her.

Will Libby do it? you wonder. But, of course. Libby and I share a rich history with the Sound of Music. On one particular snow day in high school, we put on our snow pants and trudged up to the house of one of the most popular boys in my class and forced him to play in the snow with us (actually we didn't have that kind of power. When he turned us down his mother insisted that he join us), but really just hung outside for about 10 minutes and then made him watch the Sound of Music with us in my basement. Just another anecdote highlighting how terribly popular Libby and I were in high school. But back to an outfit and landscape not quite so tragic...
Seriously, isn't Vancouver the prettiest place on earth? Just wait until the roses in that garden bloom if you aren't entirely convinced.
The skirt is another giveaway from Erin, and I loved how such a fun and youthful pattern was matched with such a clean, professional fit. To play this up, I went serious for the top, with pearls and my Chanel-ey blazer (but not too seriously, obviously, as that just isn't my style), and more playful on the bottom with nude fishnets and socks with lace-up shoes (Can you call them Oxfords when they're clearly just orthopedic-esque in a similar style?), a look begging for a ruffle on my sock and some patent leather on my shoe.
I love the look of this blazer with the pearl necklace, they're both such a fun take on classic, ladies who lunch staples. Also, I don't really wear a lot of green, especially brighter greens, but I was happy to have this shirt in my wardrobe, as I think the color and style went perfectly with my skirt. My mom bought it, which is why it's out of my usual color scheme - Go Mom!
Excuse this major close-up of my face, but I wanted to show off the earrings, which are so great, and my new haircut! Look Mom, this is what the color looks like when not in crappy basement lighting transmitted through Skype video.

I'd like to take this time to really sing the praises of a nude fishnet. Nude tights can be really boring and induce flashbacks of those times when your mom insisted that you wear tights under your dress and they were always either that awful not actually nude but a sort of fake tan that didn't match your body color or you had snagged all of yours so you had to borrow your mom's but they were control top and super uncomfortable. But a nude fishnet? That's just fun, and a nice way to a little bit of craziness to an otherwise professional look.
Ankle socks, shoes, and skirts: I love you together, no matter what anyone else says.

Skirt: Erin giveaway, but from H&M Paris
Shirt: Gifted by Mom, AE
Blazer: Gifted by Mom, AE
Necklace: a jewelry store in Malaga, Spain. Details forgotten.
Earrings: Erin giveaway
Shoes: Thrifted, Value Village

Have a lovely weekend and look out for the second of Friday's outfits: when Anna dresses too much like the movie she's about to see. xoxo Anna Rae




1 comment:

  1. i hope the movie is Hot Tub Time Machine!

    ReplyDelete