Friday, March 5, 2010

Millie is a Hipster

Happy Friday, readers! Welcome to the first of what I hope will be a pretty regular installment, "Millie is a Hipster": A Look inside the fashions of some of my favorite television shows. Named after one of the most beloved characters on the epic (and my personal favorite) Freaks and Geeks.

For this particular post, let's contemplate this video.
The aesthetics of this show are pretty amazing; they certainly aren't as detailed or researched as Mad Men but they don't cartoonishly hit you over the head with the period like That 70s Show. Instead, the sets, the costumes, the references are ernest and heartwarming, a sign of nostalgia, I think.

Anyway, the fashions on the show follow suit, and the producers and creators were really great about letting the characters look like normal people. While watching on of the many director commentaries, I remember, I think Paul Feig, mentioning that they would use shots even if the actors or actresses didn't look particularly attractive, which I really appreciated. Authenticity, man, authenticity.

I really like this clip because I love how Cindy Sanders, Harrison, and Millie are dressed. Harrison's glasses, first and foremost, are so very classic. They have the advantage of being presently hip, but I think they're also the kind of frames that a certain guy in high school would wear no matter what. The kind of guy that seemed to never shave, yet never grow, his mustache, and always wears the same lightly washed jeans. Millie's outfit, though, as with the rest of her outfits on the show, might as well be on latfh. I really love her pants, especially, they kind of remind me of those amazing high-waisted jeans that I love on other girls but just know they would look so ridiculous on me. Beside her clothes, Millie's waifish figure and long, stringy hair -- let's just mail her to Williamsburg right now, hey?

Cindy Sanders in this episode dresses like me (a preview for next week). Today, I wore a collar shirt, cardigan sweater, striped A-line skirt, panty-hose, knee socks, and oxfords. Yes, let's just start making comparisons now. I can't really get behind the kind of sweater shirt she's wearing, though. It kind of just reminds me of my mom, or perhaps of 7th grade (Speaking of middle school, how amazing was Libby's post today?), but what if we traded it for a Peter Pan collar or some great vintage lace. Amazing.

Every time I see a picture, watch an interview, or read an article about either Judd Appatow or Paul Feig, I'm still completely amazed about the style of this show. From those guys, seriously, those guys? I don't really want to get into the personality differences between the Freaks and how they're expressed in their clothing or the iconic jackets that Kim Kelly and Lindsay wear, let's save that for another day.

So, have delicious weekends, watch the Oscars because we'll surely let you know our favorites, and remember, maybe if you don't drink, you will be cool (Thanks Mr. Rosso).

xoxo Anna Rae

No comments:

Post a Comment